Pay attention.

September 12, 2013

I’ve been on a little bit of a Mary Oliver kick lately. And when I say a little bit, I really mean that I’ve been reading her poems online on a regular basis, quoting her all over social media, and listening to videos of her poems being read aloud before I go to bed at night.

Yesterday I quoted the poem “Yes! No!” on my Instagram account. “To pay attention, this is our endless and proper work.” I love this quote because I have found that since I’ve started paying attention to the subtleties in life, I’ve become a more inspired, thankful, and curious version of myself. I look for things I never thought to look for before. I crave new experiences. I desperately want to travel to new places – to try new food – to meet new people. I long for awareness and passion, and the amount that I experience these two things seem to be directly affected by how much I pay attention.

After posting this quote online, I left the house for my favorite coffee shop. As I was walking downtown, a driver who clearly wasn’t paying attention, turned right on a red before looking for pedestrians and hit me. Fortunately, I was able to stay on my feet and aside from being horribly sore today, I wasn’t injured … but it’s definitely played a toll on me mentally. I feel like I’ve been in a daze since and can’t quite seem to stay on task. My mind keeps drifting and I’ve been thinking a lot about the concept of paying attention, being aware, of soaking in your surroundings. I haven’t really organized any of these thoughts, but that is primarily where my mind is residing right now.

On that note, this look is one that I wore the day after I got back from the road trip. I purchased this skirt in a vintage store in Venice Beach. It is actually part of a two piece set – the top is the same material and when they are worn together it creates the effect of a dress. It was hanging outside of the fitting room and as soon as I realized how many ways the two pieces could be worn, that it was 100% silk, and only cost $42, I excitedly took it to the checkout counter. I find thrifting so rewarding. Scouring rack after rack for those few worthy items is another representation of why it’s important to pay attention. If you aren’t looking closely, you might miss that random rack displaying your new favorite dress, top, and skirt all in one.

blog-3blog-2 blog-1 blog-4

Top: Old Navy (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Skirt: Vintage (Similar.)
Necklace: c/o That’s Mine! (Same.) *Enter the That’s Mine! giveaway here!
Sandals: Urban Outfitters (Similar.)

Photos by Mae.

12 Responses to “Pay attention.”

1. Abby says:

I can’t believe you got hit by a car! Did the driver stop and see if you were okay?!

Glad you’re alright!

I was totally high on adrenaline so I told him I was fine and walked away. About a block later, the shock hit and I about had a break down. Fortunately, I actually am okay. Hopefully he just pays better attention from now on.

2. Lauren says:

My boyfriend got hit by a car last Spring — similar situation, and he was fine except for soreness — and the driver actually had the nerve to yell at HIM, even though he made eye contact and was crossing completely legally. I’m so glad you’re okay. It really is amazing how distractions can affect us so strongly — both our own and others’.

3. Naomi A says:

OMG I’m so glad you are ok! I walk a lot on busy streets so I’m always cautious of people not seeing me. How scary! And I have to say, great skirt!

The Occasional Indulgence

4. wow so glad you’re ok! and on another note you look lovely in that skirt! xo

5. Lacey says:

Oh my gosh! I’m glad you are okay. You might get a quick checkup just to confirm you are indeed not hurt.

6. Norma says:

Extremely glad you are ok. I would heed the advice of some of the comments and go get checked over by a doctor just to be sure.

7. kelsey says:

glad you’re okay! hope you can see a doctor if things still hurt a few days later!
    kw, ladies in navy

8. You are one blessed woman! So glad that you were not seriously injured. You look cute in you outfit. I enjoy thrifting as well, unfortunately there are very few good thrift shops where I live.
    If you get a chance, I would love for you to check out my new post on my blog.
    The IdentiFemi Girls (Myah)

9. Stephanie says:

So glad you’re okay. Not many things in life can really jolt us; this is an exception (my little sister got hit by a car on her bike once and I had to witness it). It truly opens up your eyes and makes you thank your lucky stars that it wasn’t any more serious. Again, glad to hear you’re safe.

Stephanie
    SD

10. ash says:

I bet that silky skirt feels so good when you walk! I’d love to see the top!

11. Alicia says:

Very glad to hear that you’re ok.
    Have you looked into Mindfulness? I think it might be right up your alley. It has totally changed my life.