Trip Day No. 01: Iowa Pit Stop

August 20, 2013

Filed Under: Style, Travel

Yesterday was the first day of our PIZZAMERICA cross-country road trip.  We departed at 4am, which didn’t feel nearly as unfriendly as I imagined it would when I set my alarm on Saturday night anticipating a meager three hours of sleep. The darkness outside and the bags under our eyes didn’t dampen our enthusiasm of what was to come. We rode through the Midwest quickly while filling our empty stomachs with takis, hummus, and PB&J sandwiches.

The time flew by along with the landscape until we reached Nebraska. After hours of inching through this unanimated portion of our country, we eloquently titled it the “black hole” of America. No offense to any Nebraskan readers out there – I’m sure your state is a lovely place to live, but driving all the way through it is a major energy suck. The stick straight road and farm filled landscape caused our arrival into Colorado to feel like being embraced by sun kissed, flower-adorned arms. After passing a wooden sign that read, “Welcome to Colorful Colorado”, the conversation immediately transitioned into “oohs” and “ahhs” about the way beams of light cascaded through the clouds, lighting the colorful hills that watched our awe-filled car speed along the gravely highway. I assumed the position behind the driver’s seat while the four others captured the view with their cameras and memories. Visit the PIZZAMERICA blog for a full recap of our first day and some iPhone images here.

Now, on to the outfit stuff. When I was planning on what to wear for the duration of the 18-hour car ride, my first thought was, “Forget it. Just wear yoga pants.” But I didn’t let this impulse get the best of me. Instead, I went with a pair of denim shorts, multiple layers on top, and my new pair of Minnetonkas. I spent the majority of the car ride with my jacket draped over my legs as a blanket and I stayed completely comfortable.

What are some of your favorite things to wear while traveling?

blog-1 blog-4 blog-2 blog-5 blog-3

Sunglasses: Urban Outfitters (Same.)
Jacket: c/o Aeropostale (Same. Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Shirt: Gap Kids (Boys): (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Tee: c/o Aeropostale (Same.)
Shorts: c/o Aeropostale (Same. Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Shoes: c/o Minnetonka Moccasin (Same.)

Photos by Mae.

13 Responses to “Trip Day No. 01: Iowa Pit Stop”

1. Ashleigh says:

I love the boots with the shorts! Was it that cool that you needed all the layers? I must say you have fantastic road trip hair!

2. Carlee says:

Love this outfit and I really hope you are having a great time on your trip. I can’t wait to hear more.
    Little Sloth

3. Jenna says:

nebraska is my state and while its great to live in, it is horrible to drive across! i feel the same way when we reach colorado! glad you made it through in one piece!

i too hate to go with the comfy clothes while traveling, its such an event for me i love to add some style to it. i love your mix and matching, its great!

4. Claudia says:

Well I’ve only once had to drive for 18 hours at a time (in a touring car) and that was in sweatpants and a comfy sweater. Next time I would also consider cotton leggings and a comfy dress.

Though I would never ever even think about heels and much make-up/jewelry.

5. Naomi A says:

I hate wearing jeans (even jean shorts) when I have to be in the car for a long time. I’ll usually wear a dress or skirt. BTW I love that last image of you, so beautiful!

The Occasional Indulgence

6. Emily W. says:

This summer we drove from Texas to Colorado. Since we started hot and ended cool, I chose a maxi skirt, flats, and several layers on top!

7. kelsey says:

really cute outfit and fun trip!
    kw ladies in navy

8. Rebecca says:

I live in IA, and totally agree about NE… ;) But IA is about the same. Just maybe not as Looooooooong.
    Love the outfit. :)

9. Jackie says:

I definitely don’t ever dress that stylish when I travel, but the outfit really does look cute and comfy, so I should probably dress a bit nicer, even for a road trip.

Hope you’re having a blast!!

xoxo Jackie

10. Ciiku says:

I have this top I got in Bangkok and I pair them with tights and jelly shoes. This is standard traveling (by car) outfit.

11. Love the layering in this, and your jacket is so so pretty. Really chic. Also, that last picture is so stunning.

12. Hi there, I enjoy reading all of your post. I
    wanted to write a little comment to support you.

13. [...] Kayley from Sidewalk Ready along with friends Ambrea, Bethany, Fairfax and Mae from travel blog PIZZAMERICA embarked on an [...]