Happiness.

July 23, 2013

I’ve noticed that when I talk about reflecting on life and a desire to improve, sometimes it’s interpreted by my readers as a general unhappiness. I want to clarify that this is not at all the case. In the best and worst of times, I’ve been striving for a deep seated joy of life, not a shallow happiness.

One of my greatest fears is that I’ll become consumed in contentment and settle into life comfortably, forgetting to appreciate what it actually means to live. One of my biggest struggles is to remember to find significance in the mundane, to be aware that there is always something new to be reached, and to accept that there are an infinite amount of lessons to be learned.

I have to remind myself on a daily basis not to become stagnant and unappreciative of my existence. There is always reflection to be had, improvements to be made, and beauty to be discovered. Approaching life with this sense of questioning and wonder has brought me a deep seated joy, no matter the circumstances … and to me, that is more powerful than fleeting moments of happiness.

blog-1 blog-2 blog-5 blog-3 blog-4

Top: Anthropologie (Same.)
Skirt: Borrowed from a friend (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Sandals: Borrowed from my sister (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Cuff: H&M (Save. Spend. Splurge.)

Curled away from my face with a 1″ curling iron.

Photos by Kai.

14 Responses to “Happiness.”

1. Shira says:

perfection. as usual, the photography is amazing too.

2. just simply gorgeous. i hope you’re doing okay, kayley!

3. Angela says:

Beautiful words, and a beautiful look.

4. Ester says:

wow this outfit is so damn perfect! I love the print on your top and it goes so well with that skirt!

Ester from Drawing Dreaming

5. Very well said! I also think it is so important to make sure I don’t become stagnant. I think my difficulty is remembering to enjoy in the present moment while I’m on the path for deep seated joy.

6. Aunt Kris says:

You look amazing – love it! So proud of your blog and ability to express yourself on this journey!

7. ashleigh says:

I love the brown, black, and white together. Especially the back of that top!
    Glad to know you are happy. I’ll admit I was wondering.

8. I was just thinking about this this morning. Sometimes I take for granted those little things in life, and things kind of become stagnant–because I’m not recognizing what I have. It’s so important to reflect like that.

Beautiful skirt, by the way!

9. anne says:

the book “a million miles in a thousand years” by don miller speaks really beautifully into all of the things you’ve been writing about lately. i’m re-reading it now and it’s really, really so great.

10. Kit says:

The photo with your back to the camera and head to the side is especially lovely. And it seems like there is more satisfaction living aware like you mention, even if contentment is more convenient at the time.

11. Those colors look so beautiful together! I love your shirt and shoes.

I appreciate your blog reflections. i can totally relate as I am going through similar reflections as well. More similarly I have thought about ways I can face my fears and learn to love myself for being flawed. It has been a humbling experience. thanks for sharing.

13. Jackie says:

I just bought this shirt, and I LOVE it! :) Thanks!