Flared.

January 14, 2013

When I bought these jeans I was a little unsure on how they would be received. They really go against the denim trends of the moment considering they are a light wash and a flare leg. However, I loved the way they fit and thought they were a stand out piece – which is a little unusual for me since the majority of my jeans are pretty basic. Now after having owned them for about a year, I’m so glad I bought them. They are the perfect item to pair with other basics, like a simple blouse and navy blazer.

Don’t be afraid to buy things that might be a little against current trends if it’s something you really love. It’s these types of purchases that will help you establish your own personal style!

blog-2 blog-3 blog-5

I’m really digging this necklace from Saressa Designs. I’ve worn it practically every day since it came in the mail. Nature inspired jewelry like this reminds me of my style when I was in college. I embraced the free-spirited side of my personality, and this definitely reflected through my fashion choices. A couple of years later, one of the resident assistants in my dorm told my best friend that he used to call us the “indie rock duo”. Ha! My style has developed still then, but that doesn’t mean I don’t still love items like this!

blog-6blog-4blog-7

Blazer: Gap (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Blouse: c/o Shop Sosie (Same. Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Jeans: Gap (Similar.)
Necklace: c/o Saressa Designs (Same.)
Watch: c/o Daniel Wellington (Same.)
Boots: Sam Edelman (Save. Spend. Splurge.)

Air dried and lightly touched up with a large barrel curling iron.

29 Responses to “Flared.”

1. Rachel says:

Kayley, LOVE this outfit on you. I think this might be one of my favorites…your jeans in particular. Fantastic color and cut, and not so flared that it’s cartoony (if that makes sense). Altogether gorgeous! :)

2. Kai says:

I like your pants.

3. Love the blazer! Great post. :)
    xx MJ

4. Kate says:

I always love your nail polish colors. I’ve been treating myself to a weekly manicure, and I’m always looking for color inspiration. Any chacne I could convince you to post the names of nail polish when they’re featured on the blog?

5. Andrea says:

That’s really good advice, about not always buying according to trend.I feel like I need to do that more often
    ~Andrea

6. shannon says:

I love the light colored denim, they look very chic. I think light colored denim is making a comeback. You were just ahead of the trend. :)

7. I think these look amazing on you! Especially paired with the blazer! xo
    Best, M.

8. Those jeans really do fit your beautifully. I have a couple of pairs of flared jeans that I love, but I tend to stay away from light wash. My thighs don’t like it.

There are only so many styles and washes of jeans, so they always cycle back through. In a year or two you might be just ahead of the trend in these and then people will think you’re a trendsetter. But I agree with you…it’s better to buy something you love that’s not “in style” than to buy something that’s “in style” that you don’t really love!

Sarah’s Real Life (Bead for Life giveaway in progress…)

10. Love this outfit! I’ve had light wash flare leg jeans on my list for a while now :)

11. Sandy says:

Hey there~ Thanks for the encouragement on wearing things that look good, even if it’s not quite ‘on trend’!

12. Lovely look! I really love the light wash jeans with the blazer! Great look.

13. ash says:

I love the flares. I just bought some from american eagle last april and I missed how they balance a fuller figure. They also make you in particular look tall!

14. cait & val says:

um. yup. you look fantastic! love the light weight denim and this whole look!
    LOVE.

xo. c & v
    cake & valley

15. Caitlin says:

I so agree with you: You have to buy things you love and that you know you’ll wear because you love them. Otherwise it’s not your style, and you’ll just end up spending money on something that is trendy but that you don’t wear a lot of.

I love the simplicity of this look!

Caitlin Wilson
    re-mix-her.tumblr.com

16. Lizzie says:

Hi,
    I think this outfit looks fantasic on you. A lovely casual look. I found this post really inspirational as I think there is an awful lot of pressure to where what is on trend even if it doesnt really suit your shape. (Something I have struggled with quite a bit.) Really enjoying your blog.

17. Magooch says:

Oh dear. Now your dad wants to keep wearing his light-wash old terrible looking Levis! Both awful pairs. I guess we’ll just have to hide out in the house :)

18. I really like the jeans! I don’t think anyone could pull them off, but you certainly do!

19. mary says:

i like the price on that necklace too, not bad!

20. Http://www.ladiesinnavy.com says:

Loving the blazer with these jeans… I always love a good wide leg jean with heels to make legs look longer.
    Kw http://www.ladiesinnavy.com

21. Rae says:

I love how your makeup is so natural! Have you ever done a post on your makeup routine? If so do you mind sharing the link? Love this look!

22. I personally love flared jeans and can’t wait for them to make a comeback! xo

23. I LOVE the fit of these jeans on you! And the color…perfect! I have the hardest time with flared jeans, because I feel I HAVE to wear heels/wedges with them, which isn’t something I want to do everyday. Oh, the dilemas, hehe! x

24. GreenBean says:

I seriously think the jeans rock. I think the light wash flares look great and very retro!

25. racjel says:

hola, mi nombre es rachel y te escribo desde madrid. siento hacerlo a traves de un traductor pero no hablo ingles. tengo una pregunta: que son esos polvitos q te hechas antes de peinarte en las raices del pelo??? tengo curiosidad pq mi pelo es muy lacio y siempre busco algo para darle un poquito de volumen. felicidades por tu blog, me encanta y te sigo cada dia.muak!!! /

Hello, my name is rachel and I write from madrid. I am doing so through a translator but I don’t speak English. I have a question: who are those powders that you made before you style your hair at the roots of the hair? I’m curious because my hair is very straight and I always look for something to give you a little bit of volume. congratulations on your blog, I love it and I follow each day.muak!

The powder I use is by Big Sexy Hair and it’s called “Powder Play”. A lot of different brands carry something similar though. It’s an awesome product!

26. amanda says:

Great advice! I always fall victim to shopping for more of my go-to and stand-by looks rather than taking a risk. You did and they look great!

amanda