Bouncing Back.

January 7, 2013

Filed Under: Personal, Style

The post I originally had planned for today just got postponed to Wednesday because guess what, guys? I have something to say. So this post is going to feel a little like a girl power anthem. I know what you’re probably thinking, “Oh my gosh, Kayley is going to talk about her feelings. Save us all!” Well, this is what I do, and all of my friends have to put up with it at some point. We are kind of friends now, right? Right. So bear with me.

Anyway, I was talking to a good friend of mine the other day. This particular friend has been a big part of my life since middle school, and second to Kai, knows me better than any other guy in the world. We love to talk about books, movies, and lyrics … really any form of art that uses language as a medium. Creative writing has always been a passion of mine, and he was my biggest cheerleader when we were younger. Lately, he’s been nagging me to get back into it, and I’ve had one lousy excuse after another. I think I finally got tired of resisting, and a couple of nights ago, I mentioned to him that I have been feeling motivated again. His response? “And she’s back!” Sometimes, words like this from a friend are all it takes to start bouncing back.

In the midst of this, I’ve been plagued by the flu. Not the clinging-to-the toilet-for-dear-life type of flu, the delirious, my-fever-is-making-it-impossible-to-think, I-just-sweat-through-my-sheets-again type. So this morning, when I woke up with a sense of clarity (and some small remnants of wooziness), I thought it was time to get out of the house. Time to bounce back.

Today is a day of healing. Mentally and physically. I’ve encountered this before, and for me, a crucial part in the rejuvenation process is sprucing myself up. After being sick for three days, I was feeling pretty run down (this is an extreme under exaggeration). I’m always a proponent for a pampering massage or pedicure, but this morning, something as simple as curling my hair, trading my glasses for contacts, and putting on makeup was like therapy. I took my time and chose my color palette carefully: girly, fresh, and lively. I intentionally selected clothing that shows the world who I want to be. Nothing too trendy: classic, simple, and pretty. It’s the perfect day for my favorite, cashmere sweater that once caused an adorable, gay guy to stop in his tracks and exclaim, “Giiirl! That is your color!” The cherry on top (or bottom) is my new pair of Ted Baker heels I was saving for a special occasion. Today is a special occasion. I’m bouncing back.

So ladies, next time your heart is telling you it’s time for a revival, help a sister out. Doll yourself up, don your favorite duds, and go somewhere. Anywhere. Even if it’s just to the local Barnes & Noble. Pop a cough drop and sing at the top of your lungs to the Taylor Swift song that just came on the radio. Then, consider it a beautiful sign of healing when they play another T.Swift track immediately afterwards (’cause that happened.) I don’t care who you are, that girl is painfully relatable.

Here’s to bouncing back. May we never forget that “life is holy and every moment is precious.” Thanks for that, Jack Kerouac .

* This rare moment of vulnerability brought to you by a fever hangover and an emotional high. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

blog-103 blog-5blog-102blog-100

These beautiful bracelets from Stowe Street are a new favorite. They are reasonably priced yet feel luxe. I hand selected the large bangle and asked them to choose the accompanying small bangles. I love this combination! Check out all of the styles here – and stay tuned for a giveaway. :)

blog-6blog-101blog-106

Coat: Banana Republic (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Sweater: J.Crew (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Pants: Gap (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Shoes: Ted Baker “Kelmat” (Same. Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Bracelets: c/o Stowe Street (Same. Same. *on sale)
Lipstick: Starlet from The Leslie Studio (email for ordering information.)

Curled away from my face with a 1.5″ curling iron. Applied Big Sexy Hair Powder Play to roots.

42 Responses to “Bouncing Back.”

1. shannon says:

What a beautiful post and message! GIRL POWER :) And, I must say you look amazing in that minty shade and I’m totally jealous of your snow!

2. So glad to hear you’re feeling better! It seems like everyone and their brother has been hit with the flu or something like it. You look smashing! That guy was right — it is your color! :)

3. Love your honesty in this post and the outfit is perfect too…those shoes have been on my wish list for months and I’ve been stalking them, just hoping they will go on sale!

4. you look absolutely beautiful, kayley! and i love your “bouncing back” honesty. i totally know what you mean – i am a writer at heart too, so to just put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard in our case) just feels so therapeutic!! i hope you feel better SO soon and you’re back to being 100%!

5. You are too cute – and yes! Stretch in to that creative writing!

6. whitney says:

i know how you feel – i’ve been confined to the couch for the last 4 days and am so looking forward to getting to the point where i feel well enough to get myself together and get out of the house! for now, showering is the best i can do. ;-)

you look great!!

7. Elissa says:

You can’t tell from the pictures that you’re sick/getting over being sick! You look great.

8. Sara says:

That’s lovely! Thanks for sharing.

9. Emily says:

Glad you are feeling better. I know exactly what you mean about the glasses/lenses thing!

10. Yvonne says:

Such an inspiring post, Kayley! Love it.

11. So glad you posted this! It was something I needed to hear and girl, you have made my day!!! Love getting to know you and your cute personality better!! You look perfect as always!

12. You look absolutely stunning! Girl, that IS your color! Would you ever consider sharing some of your creative writing? I’m a voracious reader and love finding new writers!

~C

13. Andrea says:

I totally agree about sprucing yourself up does make you feel better. Whenever I’m going through exams and living in sweat pants and no makeup, I always feel better once I actually get out and brush my hair lol. hope you start to feel better!
    ~Andrea
    p.s. love the Taylor Swift shout out (I’m listening to her right now, love her)

14. Great post and gorgeous outfit. I’m glad you’re feeling better!

15. Jenny says:

One of my favorite outfits of yours! The colors are great and it’s the perfect winter outfit. Gorgeous!

Jenny
    bravo_style.blogspot.com

16. I love this post! Thanks for opening up. I love when bloggers write about something they are really passionate about. Sounds like your on the right track! Go girl!!!!

17. Chelseabird says:

Kayley, I’m a fairly new reader and I absolutely LOVED this post! I as well have felt a bit down and out lately and really needed to read all this positivity you’re talking about! Here’s to a great week! XO

This color combo is beautiful, Kayley!

19. Inge says:

Aww this post made me smile =). That is definitely your color, and the jacket? so pretty.

20. Megan says:

I like this side of you! Great post, and I’m glad to hear you’re feeling better… you certainly don’t look sick :) Gorgeous as always! Those bracelets are adorable, and that guy was right – this IS your color.

21. Danica says:

glad you’re feeling better!
    loveee this outfit! so pretty. :)

22. Caitlin says:

I so appreciate your humor. I agree: Sometimes the best way to feel better is to get out of bed and get ready for the day.

And that gay guy was right: This is definitely your color. And I’m dying over your shoes!

Caitlin

23. Love this post! I’m a new reader (also from Michigan btw!) and I love your honesty and positive attitude – makes me love your outfit that much more! :)

Kim

24. Mariel says:

You look great, and your hair looks lighter. Did you dye it recently?

25. Samira says:

I love the J.Crew sweater!

26. You are such an inspiration…and so darn pretty! Thanks for this post!

27. Glad you’re feeling better! And that definitely is your color. :) Love those shoes!

28. Ciiku says:

GURLLLLL!!!

*snaps fingers*

GORG!

29. Yuri says:

Good for you! Keep on bouncing :)
    By the way, I really love the color of the top you’re wearing, it’s so pretty..

YURI

30. amy says:

I hope you get to feeling better lady, loved this overall message! Go girl! Plus, those shoes are fab!

31. melissa says:

First things first; I love these colors for winter! I’m considering winter engagement shots, but wanted to avoid the typical red clothing. The mint and black is stunning! And, you look beautiful as ever.

Also, thank you so much for the emotional post! I know why you’ve chosen to cut down on the personal post, but like you said, you’re kind of my inspirational blog “friend”!

32. Poppie says:

You look lovely and I know just how bad the flu sucks this year. I actually thought “OMG I’m going to be the 1 in thousands that dies from the flu!” LOL! You look lovely and those are great words from your friend! You are so right that the smallest words from the right people is all we need! That motivated kick in the butt!

Chao
    Poppie

33. kelsey says:

this is BEAUTIFUL! i never look that good after being sick. it’s days of haggard face and under-eye circles. but oh man, those heels! they’d make anyone smile.

34. Awesome post and beautiful sweater. What kind of creative writing are you getting into? Will we see some on the blog?

35. Totally know what you mean about feeling renewed after being sick for a while. It’s like everything around you is new and you appreciate it more. Love this outfit too! Beautiful sweater! xo
    Best, M.

36. Z says:

I hear you girl! (Glad you’re feeling better, too!) Whenever I’m done being sick, I basically go through a night of detox – nice warm shower, shave my legs, do my makeup, nails, etc… it makes you feel so much better!

37. Mecole Maddeaux says:

Giiirlllll that IS your colour :D!

38. Jordan says:

I love the simplicity of this outfit.