Holidays at the Heeringa House.

December 18, 2012

Filed Under: Design

Welcome to the holiday version of our home! This is our second winter season here and I am still coming up with new ideas. I have so many more decorations I’d like to incorporate in the coming years, but this year I decked the halls with items I already owned.

I like to focus my holiday decorations in areas where my guests will see them the most, so I typically choose to put the major of them in the living room. I especially love my mantle and have so much fun making it festive!

Kai and I both grew up in families who loved natural trees, and we were eager to carry on this tradition in our home! Our tree is decorated with white lights, a mixture of matte silver and gold ornaments, glossy gold globes of various sizes, and hand-me-down ornaments that are sentimental to us both. Our tree topper is simply three beaded wire ornaments that spell out our couple’s monogram: K.H.K. If you’ve been following Sidewalk Ready for awhile, you might recognize our tree skirt – it’s our old duvet cover! (You can view my original bedroom decor post here, and updated bedroom decor here.) This has worked well to cover up our ugly tree stand. The only drawback: It’s hard to keep looking nice, especially since Epworth likes to lay under the tree.

This nativity set is sentimental to me because it used to belong to my mom. She gave it to me when she upgraded to the Willow Tree set several years ago, but I don’t know if I’ll ever replace it. It reminds me of when I was younger. My brother and I used to play with the figurines and act out the Christmas story!

Our minimal decorations in the dining room: wooden angels and birch tree candle pillars.

Aside from the physical decorations in our home, another thing that really brings on the holiday cheer is a certain atmosphere  I absolutely love the smell of fresh pine along with a roaring fire. I can’t think of many things that are more calming. Because of this, I was excited to sample the new Crackling Lumiwick Pine Candle from Yankee Candle Co. It creates a crackling sound as it burns and the pine scent is perfect – natural and festive. I placed this one right where I can enjoy it – on the coffee table in our living room, which is where I typically work on my laptop.

blog-1

Have you done any holiday decorating in your home and posted about it on your blog? I’d love to see! Feel free to share links in the comment section. :)

23 Responses to “Holidays at the Heeringa House.”

1. Ashleigh says:

I love the grown up look of this! We’re moving, so I kept the decorations minimal so we weren’t packing up so much. :( Also I have kids, so I try to use a lot of color for them and I have to set the delicate things out of their reach. I loooove those candles though! I’ll definitely have to get some, because without our usual decor out it’s not feeling super Christmas-y at home.

2. kelsey says:

this is totally beautiful! you clearly have a lovely home.

3. Amelia says:

Love your house! So incrediably cute :)

4. We don’t do a ton of decorating – mostly just our tree and stockings :) But I’d love to make an advent-style Christmas countdown calendar. And I did make a dining room tablescape this year :) http://tinyurl.com/chzxnm7

5. Magooch says:

Just an FYI…the nativity set I gave you was passed down to me by my mother! Do I hear family heirloom? Your house looks terrific, honey!

6. mary says:

Your tree is just gorgeous!
    I also love the pic of u 2 in the bookcase….u riding piggyback…
    Merry Christmas!

7. mary says:

heck, just yesterday, or day before, i threw out that exact same sheet u used for tree skirt!!!aarrggh (it was my daughters…)

8. i LOVE your decorations, kayley!! the mantle is gorgeous~

9. Kellee says:

I love all the natural influences you’ve kept in your home, like the wood pieces and so on. Very pretty!!

10. I love the decorations and I can’t wait some day to start my own traditions and put up decor in my own house.
    Caree

11. I love your decorations! I’ve posted mine on my blog :)

saidmelanie.blogspot.com

12. Naomi A says:

I love the way you decorate. It’s so chic yet rustic.

13. Molly says:

Wow Kayley, so beautiful! Like a more personal, authentic version of Pottery Barn. You should do a post on where you find this stuff!

14. Geraldyne says:

So lovely! Simple, cozy and elegant!

15. Neris says:

your home is so gorgeous! thanks so much for shaing these photos :)

xoxo,

Fashion Fractions

16. Bevin says:

Your home is beautiful, I love your color scheme and how you fit your holiday decor into the existing. Since my home is nowhere as pulled together as yours, I didn’t share larger views, but here a few snippets: http://magnoliareverie.blogspot.com/2012/12/holiday-things.html

Bevin
    magnoliareverie.blogspot.com

17. Poppie says:

You home looks magazine perfect! GO girl!

Chao
    Poppie

18. Judy says:

So beautiful. I love your nativity scene. It’s so cute!

19. Kate says:

What a beautiful home! I love your decorations! I don’t have any photos of my Christmas decor, but I’d love for you to stop by anyway :)

Kate @ A Journey in Style

20. love your Christmas decor — you always have such great style! xo

21. Anja says:

I really love your tree. It’s so pretty, I use similar colors for the ornaments! I also like that it’s not overloaded, it jsut looks right. The minimal decorations fit really well into your home! Just lovely!!

22. Lindsay Rees says:

I’m new to this blogging thing. I don’t update as much as I like to, but some feed back would be nice :)

I love your place :D

23. Franziska says:

Your house is beautiful! I’m always jealous of those who 1. even have a house and 2. who have a mantle.