Special purchases.

November 9, 2012

The blazer in today’s post is one that I purchased while shopping in Ann Arbor a couple of weekends ago. I found it on the sale rack and was really drawn to the fabric. I’ve seen bouclé blazers on others and have always loved them, so I thought it was time to get one myself. I’ve seen others, but was never quite sold. I chose this blazer in particular because the chiffon trim detail, as well as the asymmetrical hemline, really made this item feel special. It definitely has enough character to carry on outfit on it’s own.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve becoming increasingly picky. I no longer will buy things that I think are just “okay”. I buy things that I will be excited to wear – whether it be because of a unique detail, an amazing fit, or even just something that fills a gap in my existing wardrobe.

Because I wanted this item to take center stage, I made the rest of my ensemble really neutral. Jeans, a staple white blouse, and coordinating heels complimented it so well. In the evening, I swapped the blouse for a tank, and the purse for a clutch. Perfect for a girls night out!

Blazer: Pitaya Boutique (Similar.)
Blouse: c/o Shop Sosie (Same.)
Jeans: Gap (Same. Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Shoes: Sam Edelman via Piperlime (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Necklace: c/o Shoppalu (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Watch: Skagen (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Purse: Secondhand J.Crew (Save. Spend. Splurge.)

Manually wrapped away from my face around a 1.25″ curling iron.

p.s. Man, my new growth is getting bad. My hairstylist friend that I swap services with recently had ankle surgery and I’m patiently waiting for her to be back on her feet (literally). Until then, enjoy my ashy roots and wish Michelle a fast recovery!

p.p.s. My iPhone 5 arrived yesterday and since making the switch from a Droid X, I am now on Instagram! Follow me here.

20 Responses to “Special purchases.”

1. Emily says:

Beautiful! This blazer is fantastic

xo Emily

2. shannon says:

I really love this look. Very classic and chic. I’m always a fan of a crisp white blouse.

3. ashleigh says:

I love it! You look really great, I usually like a pop of color but I love how understated this. I thought you were just going ombre with your hair again! Perfect and elegant, I would love to see the “going out look.”
    -Ash

4. This blazer is perfect, you are absolutely right in that the details are impeccable! I really like the shape at the bottom :)
    Time Stand Still

5. Patricia says:

Really love the blazer! It pays off to be picky! :-)

6. I agree with buying pieces you love! I love the quote “only buy items that are worthy of being worn on vacation!” Love this blazer and the colors!

7. Naomi A says:

I can see why you were drawn to that blazer! It’s perfect for your complexion too!

8. I love the shape of that blazer! So fun!

I always try to only buy things I love rather than things I just like. My mom owns a consignment boutique so if I didn’t shop that way I would own way too much (I do anyway:))

• GreenBean says:

I agree. This has been my philosophy for years. If you only buy things that you really love and look really good on you, then you’ll always be 100% happy with what you’re wearing. Some of my friends will say…well, I don’t really love it but it was a great bargain on sale. Or I really love it, but it doesn’t really look that good on me. That doesn’t work for me personally. I want to open my closet and really love every single item I see.

9. Christina says:

Soft, feminine and tailored! Just lovely!

10. GreenBean says:

Are you hemming your jeans here or just folding them under? Lately, I’ve been trying to decide whether to let my skinny jeans scrunch up at the ankles when wearing heels or try to fold (and maybe press) them under. I don’t want to hem them because I like the long length for cuffing in other situations.

11. Yay, welcome to instagram!! And this blazer is a lovely find indeed – love the texture + overall feel of this outfit! xo

12. Franziska says:

I just bought a very similar blazer on eBay so I’ll definitely be replicating this (if it fits! fingers crossed)

13. Elle says:

So pretty! Hope you had an awesome weekend :)

xo, elle from Living in Color.

14. Ruby Girl says:

this outfit is simply lovely. you look amazing in these soft colors! your hair & skin are FLAWLESS

15. Christine says:

Beautiful Blazer!
    work-it-blog.blogspot.com

16. Love the structure of the blazer!

17. Anja says:

I love that blazer and those nude tones look lovely on you. I have been in love with your Skagen watch since you wore it the first time. Just put it on my christmas wish list and hope Santa/the mister notices!!

18. Bec says:

I love these shoes! Will you sell them to me, puleeze?!