Top heavy.

October 24, 2012

Today I want to talk to you guys about proportion. In this look I’ve paired a loose sweater with a mini skirt, and I’ve done this intentionally. Since I’m not defining my upper body at all, it was essential that my lower body be emphasized. Had I worn something longer and more voluminous on bottom, I would have gotten lost.

This can work for many different body types. If you’re not comfortable with showing that much leg, no problem! The skirt doesn’t need to be a mini. I could have paired this sweater with a fitted pencil skirt as well. It’s not about showing skin, it’s about showing shape.

So here are a couple of options when it comes to wearing voluminous tops:
1. pair them with something short (but not too short, let’s keep it PG-13).
2. pair them with something longer, as long as it’s fitted.

Sweater: New York & Co. (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Skirt: Secondhand J.Crew (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Necklace: New York & Co. (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Purse: Gap (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Shoes: Alice + Olivia c/o Shopbop (Similar.)

Day dirty and touched up by randomly wrapping pieces around a 1.25″ curling iron. Scrunched in Surface Taffy Whip and applied Sexy Hair Powder Play at the roots.

13 Responses to “Top heavy.”

1. Jessica says:

I LOVE the look of big tops with skinny jeans. I agree that when it comes to more fabric you gotta choose top or bottom, but not both because then you just get lost in the clothing. I prefer loose tops because I can hide my body a bit more :-/ It’s not the best reason to wear those types of tops, but it’s an added bonus for me.

2. I love this look! Also the pattern on that skirt is beautiful!

3. Alyssa says:

I’m a total fashion novice, but the one thing I do know is tight top or tight bottom (not both) The women helping me find jeans after I had a baby taught me that, and now whenever I see loose tops and loose bottoms I always notice. I’m the opposite of you though… loser bottoms and form fitting tops. This is a great look for you!

4. Love your skirt – it’s adorable. I always pair big loose sweaters with skinny pants. Love your look!

Alice

5. Andrea says:

I’ve always wanted to try this look (the big sweater and the tiny skirt), but it doesn’t really work with my current wardrobe. Yay, an excuse to go shopping! I think it looks casual and put together all at the same time, which is great. The black and white is also very chic. Love!
    ~Andrea

6. Naomi A says:

Great post! I try to follow those same tips, but sometimes forget how short I am until I see my pictures and my “mini” skirt hits below my knees… Oh well! C’est la vie!

7. ashleigh says:

The length of this sweater makes me think that you are actually wearing one piece, a loose dress with a design on the bottom. I’m taking this thought and reversing it today, loose maxi dress with a fitted chambray shirt. You are really helping your proportions here by adding the heels, streamlining your overall outline. I adore that necklace too! You look fantastic, I wish my hair looked like that 1 day dirty!

8. Lauren says:

I love this look! I have a gorgeous navy blue pencil skirt from Anthropologie that I rarely wear because it looks super fancy if I wear a nice shirt and tuck it in, which tends to lead people to ask why I’m so dressed up (which annoys me, because I can have my pretty days, too!). Maybe wearing a looser top and not tucking it in could work.

9. kelsey says:

gorgeous skirt and adore your necklace!

10. SK says:

I love the skirt! And what great advice! So glad you’re adding this to your blog.

sincerelysk.blogspot.com

I use the proportions rule as well! It’s especially important for shorter girls who want to wear something “voluminous.” If both your top and bottom are voluminous, a petite gal looks overwhelmed and shapeless, and therefore even shorter.

Sarah’s Real Life

12. Essence says:

I just want to take a minute to acknowledge that you have been rocking it these past few weeks.

That is all.