Sizing up.

October 29, 2012

I was recently in Baltimore for work and had a spare moment to stop in a couple of stores. I found a dress that I liked at Anthropologie, but it was too big so I left empty handed. Next, I stopped in at J.Crew and tried on a shirt that was too big, so I bought it and left happy! Yes, you heard me right. I bought a shirt that was too big.

The top I’m wearing in this look is actually a size large and I normally wear a size extra small. I found it on the sale rack and it was the only size left. I loved the color and, of course, the stripes, so I decided to try it on anyway. Once I had it on, I felt the oversized fit really added something to the shirt. I thought it would be perfect for a casual day, which is exactly what this day was!

Don’t be afraid of trying things on in different sizes. I’ve done this before with other non-structured items before such as blouses, sweatshirts, and tee shirts. If you see something you love on the sale rack but it’s not your size, give it a try anyway. You might be surprised!

Awhile back, my parents bought me these earrings made out of old typewriter keys.  They picked out my initials, KH. I absolutely love them, but feel they are a little too bulky for my ears. I’ve been thinking of other ways to incorporate them into my outfits, and today I use them to cover a couple of the buttons on my cardigan. I simply stuck the earring post through a hole in the button, and used the earring back to secure.

Cardigan: Gap (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Top: J.Crew (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Jeans: Gap (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Necklace: Anthropologie (Similar.)
Shoes: c/o Minnetonka Moccasin (Same.)

Curled away from my face with a 1.25″ curling iron.

My Minnetonka Blogger Spotlight is posted! You can view that here, and don’t forget to enter the Minnetonka Moccasin giveaway!

22 Responses to “Sizing up.”

1. Julie Broome says:

Thank you SO much for posting this! I am always buying different sizes for my shirts and sometimes sweaters. There’s nothing better sometimes in this cold Michigan weather than cozying up in a long, chunky knit sweater and some leggings. :)

2. Naomi A says:

This is such a cute casual look! And I love that you used the earrings for buttons, so genius!

3. you look adorable, kayley! this is such a great casual look!!

4. Rebecca says:

Wow. You are so beautiful. and I love your outfit! :)
    oh, and mostly because of the inspiration you’ve given me, I recently started a blog. :)

5. Love this advice. I am never afraid to try on a size that might not be my size, because sometimes that is when you find the best pieces! I love the color on you.

6. Emily says:

What a great way to reuse earrings. :)

7. Lyddiegal says:

glad the top ended up working out because it’s so cute! and i really love your necklace. so gorgeous.
    Chic on the Cheap

8. Star White says:

So cute and cozy! I probably look crazy when I shop b/c I go to every section, even the little kids. Sometimes those are the best finds (and fits)!

Blessings!

9. kw says:

i adore this outfit so much! so casual yet so well put together.

10. I’ve trained myself to try things on, no matter the size, especially when shopping in consignment or thrift stores. You never know when you’ll find a gem in an unexpected size! I love your shoes!

11. I’ve trained myself to try things on, no matter the size, especially when shopping in consignment or thrift stores. You never know when you’ll find a gem in an unexpected size! I love your shoes!

Sizing up is like doing the “boyfriend” thing but without having to wear men’s clothes! Because let’s face it…our clothes are way cuter.

Sarah’s Real Life

13. Kat says:

I do this all the time – but most often while thrifting! You have to ignore the size tags then and just try it all on!

Love the elbow patches…have been wanting some of those for a while now!

14. Z says:

I am in LOVE with that cardigan! such a cute, comfy outfit overall anyway. Casual/fun outfits are the best!

15. ashleigh says:

I love the casualness of this entire outfit, but those earrings as button toppers (yes-let’s call them button toppers) are adorable.
    I actually will buy things too big on sale too and just have them taken in/rework it into something that fits etcetera. I often will buy vintage sweaters a size smaller because they are stretched from being pre-owned and find that they fit perfectly. I thought your cardi was Banana Republic though as I have a similar one in olive green.
    Love this post. You should do casual more often Kaylee!

16. I sometimes like to size up too. I think some people get stuck on the number/letter and don’t want to go up a size but as long as it looks good, I say go for it :)

17. Love this comfy outfit and how you made the sweater a little touch of specialness today.

Alice

18. Ciiku says:

Seriously Kayley, I love reading your blog! I like the new way you are doing things [although I liked the old way also! :-)]
    Greetings from Nairobi!

19. Tara says:

I love your striped top, so adorable! And the necklace is absolutely awesome!

20. Anja says:

You are so right on this! Sizing up (but also down) is a great tip for all stores. I have used it for years. Being a bit taller than the usual girl, I have always tried to work around size issues. Maybe a top that was meant loose sits perfectly fine a bit tighter as well or a shirt looks much better a size bigger. I especially use that philosophy for thrift stores as sizing has changed so much over the last years.

Great look and great tip!!

Anja
    A Heart and Soul Story Blog

21. [...] Heeringa, the voice, face and fashion of “Sidewalk Ready,” recently had some advice you don’t hear often: Try on clothes that aren’t your [...]

22. Mara says:

I love your page and style but I just want to say that I feel like sizing up only really works if you are super skinny like you are lucky to be. I absolutely love your style though.