Shades.

October 25, 2012

While surfing Pinterest, anything monochromatic has been standing out to me lately, so I decided to incorporate this look into my outfit the other day. I selected items that were shades of mauve and then put them all together. Sounds easy enough, right? Not so fast. Finding pieces that don’t completely clash can be a challenge sometimes. My biggest suggestion for choosing a monochoromatic ensemble is to seek out items with colors that look like they could be on the same paint sample. That indicates that they have similar tones and will work when paired together!

I’m loving this monogramed necklace from The Trendy Boutique. I think this would make such a special holiday gift! You can check out all of the style options here.

Anorak: LOFT (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Sweater: H&M (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Pants: LOFT (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Necklace: c/o The Trendy Boutique (Same.) *use code SIDEWALK20 for 20% off your purchase!
Boots: Steven c/o Shopbop (Same.)

Twisted side pony tutorial coming soon!

14 Responses to “Shades.”

1. ashleigh says:

Hrm. I like the concept. When I read mauve I thought it would be darker?
    I like the casual hair, and I love the monogrammed necklace. I particularly love those boots! They look comfortable.
    Great idea! I think i’ll try it, and I won’t even use all-black.

2. kelsey says:

cute necklace! love it. i am a fan of a bit more color and think that doing this works well because you’re always cute! but on someone shaped a bit different, perhaps taller, or with a darker color it’d be a bit shy of successful!

3. SK says:

So cute!! What a fun necklace. And I love your boots!
    sincerelysk.blogspot.com

4. Rebecca says:

I LOVE this!

5. Really pretty necklace, I am also really loving you advice about the choosing tones that might be on the same color paint sample strip. I never thought of it that way!

I think I like you better in more colors, but hey, nothing wrong with experimenting! If you liked it, that’s what counts.

Sarah’s Real Life

7. I love the boots! I wish I could pull of wearing all mauve – the color completely washes me out so I can’t wear it unless paired with other colors. :’( Looks great on you though!

8. Desiree says:

Another huge thing that I think is worth mentioning about going monochromatic … texture matters. The way you mixed the chunky knit with the cords work so great!

9. haley says:

You nailed this look! Great tips..thanks<3

Best,
    Colour Me Classic

10. Megan says:

I think you hit the nail on the head with this look! Looks great. Also–I really wish you could fix my hair everyday. It’s so fine and thin that it loses shape and curl immediately. Any products you’d recommend for fine hair? Thanks! xoxo, Megan

11. This is great. I am always afraid of monochromatic looks. I think it’s helpful to have different textures to break things up. Love your necklace!

Alice

12. Camille says:

I love reading your blog. I am 33 and have 3 kids but your outfits are still relatable. However not a fan of this one. It looks like all the same color. And blends in with your skin too much.

13. Sara Frias says:

Love the monocromatic look.
    Cant wait for the tutorial.