Chevron and herringbone.

April 16, 2012

Today has been strange. I had a dermatology appointment this morning at 11:30 which is something that I always dread. Last time I saw the dermatologist, I nearly passed out and had to have a ride home. This has also happened to me a couple of times at the doctor. Apparently I have vasovagal episodes, which is essentially fainting that is due to a specific trigger. Anyway, now that I know this about myself, I took off the first hour or so of work so I would have some recovery time, just in case.

I arrived early, at 11:15, anxiously filled out some paper work and then I waited … and waited … and waited. A little after noon, my name was finally called. I was brought back into a tiny window-less room, talked to the nurse for a bit, then she left. As I waited for the doctor, I started to look around the room. Bad idea. The minute I saw the cabinet labelled “sutures” I about lost it. I started getting panicky, light headed, and extremely thirsty (why don’t they offer people water?!). After waiting for a half an hour and frantically texting Kai and my mom, the doctor arrived.

Because I was in the office to have a few moles removed, the nurse went ahead and started numbing. She began with the mole on my back. I breathed deeply as she numbed it, and the prick wasn’t an issue at all. As she turned to get some gauze, the power went out. The entire building went black. After aquiring some flashlights, they went ahead and removed two moles on my side, but the one on my back had to wait. So now I have a numb back for no reason, and I have to go back in two months. Grrr.

And the wind is blowing at gusts up to 50mph. Power is out all over the place. Today is weird. But hey, I didn’t faint! My ears are still ringing, but at least I’m concious.

Okay, now back to the title. Today I’m wearing a skirt with a herringbone print and a necklace with a chevron.

Cardigan: Gap (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Chambray Shirt: J.Crew Factory Store
Lace Top: Banana Republic (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Skirt: Target
* I couldn’t find anything similar but I did find this cute, inexpensive dress!
Necklace: c/o Bella Lina Designs
Bracelet: H&M (Save. Spend. Splurge.)
Shoes: Joan & David (Similar.)
Belt: Gap (I like this belt even more …)
Purse: Melie Bianco c/o Lulus.com (Same. Save. Spend. Splurge.)

Upside down french braided bun. Tutorial here.

– Kayls.

24 Responses to “Chevron and herringbone.”

1. Amy says:

Your experience with vasovagal episodes reminds me of every time I try to donate blood. Never fails…I pass out during or after.

Anyhow, I love that Tucker for Target skirt (knew I should’ve snatched it up when I had the chance). It’s really cute with the chambray!

yeah … I gave up on trying to donate blood. I’ve never been able to. I didn’t even realize this skirt was Tucker for Target! It was the last one left.

2. Emily says:

Love the skirt. Sorry about your doctor’s experience. :(

3. Christina says:

I have the same skirt and adore it! (I actually found it on e-bay sometime ago.) Now that I see it paired with the Melie Bianco bag, you have convinced me I need that as well. At the risk of being redundant – so happy to see the chevron necklace again! I can’t tell you how excited I am that you love it — means so much!

4. Christina says:

P.S. Sorry you had a tough time today. I hope the next visit goes much more smoothly.

5. Melina says:

I absolutely love this look! so classic with just the right amount of preppiness. That skirt is such a great find!

-Melina

6. eliza says:

duuuuuude! i, too, have vasovagal syncope! my biggest trigger, however, is weddings, because i fainted at my mom’s wedding when i was young. it isn’t too big of a deal, in general, because, you know, i can just sit at the back and make sure i have water. but i was TERRIFIED that i would faint at my own wedding. i had my brother instead of a maid of honor, so that either way i could tip there would be a strong guy to catch me. happy ending, as i didn’t faint. but i can relate!

7. anna says:

i always love that necklace because it looks like an open book.
    (also, i always look at the walls when i’m waiting for doctors… and at the moment, mine have way too many pictures of births and birth complications… not helpful!)

Sorry to hear about your doctor’s office trauma! I don’t know what it is about dermatologists and them preferring patients to wait in claustrophobic rooms instead of the waiting room that has magazines, TV, and lots of things to keep your mind off what is to come! One time the dermatologist kept me waiting for so long that the lights (which were apparently motion activated) turned off and I was left waiting in the flimsy, open-back gown waving my arms and trying not to fall over anything while trying to get the lights to turn back on. Not cool. At least you looked really cute today!

9. Jamie says:

Sorry to hear about your doctor’s visit – terrible that you have to go back again. I don’t faint but I do have panic attacks with certain triggers, blood and claustrophobia/feeling trapped being 2. I had a huge panic attack in the dentist’s chair once. Not fun.

Anyway, I adore that chevron necklace! I’m a new blog follower so I haven’t seen it before and it’s adorable!

10. Love the skirt (they were sold out fast at my Target so I didn’t get one) and the chambray combo.

I totally feel ya about dermatologists/drs in general. Fortunately my dermo is very fast and she’s already in the room when I walk in. She’s not super warm but she doesn’t keep me waiting in silent agony so I keep going back. And wearing sunscreen. If only teenage me had been so wise.

11. Christine says:

Man that is a great skirt! another good one from Target!
    work-it-blog.blogspot.com

12. Sabrina says:

I love your outfits and check your blog often. I wish $138 for a dress could be considered “inexpensive” for my budget. Would be nice. :)

13. Kirsten says:

I hate weird days like that! That sucks soo much about your appt!
    That necklace is darling! At least you look cute right?

Kirsten
    {travandkirk.blogspot.com}

14. Jupe says:

The detail on that necklace is so lovely. And this skirt is my fav of yours…wish I’d snagged one for myself!

<3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

Enter my Shabby Apple GIVEAWAY!!!

15. Ruth says:

I can sympathize about the doctor! I have issues with needles being used on me (although I am ok looking at them if they are not going to be used.) I generally hold it together through the experience and then occasionally collapse in a fit of either tears or laughter, depending on how smoothly it went.

A few years ago I had a bad experience getting blood drawn at a general practitioners office. I won’t get into it because who needs scary stories when they already have issues. Suffice to say, I do ok donating blood by just pretending I’m not nervous, but I haven’t had a physical in 3 years.

I also have issues at the dentist… that scraper tool literally gives me full body shivers the whole time she uses it. Luckily my dentist is very sweet. My sister has even worse issues (we must have had a horrible dentist as kids) and after a sobbing incident, her dentist actually prescribed some anti-anxiety meds for her to take before appointments. She said it has made a huge difference.

P.S. I’m not sure if this is my first comments, so let me also say that I love your blog! I tend to dress very plainly (simply?) so I am inspired by all the ways you combine things to get different looks. Thank you for sharing so many ideas!

16. Danica says:

Sorry about the doctor’s appt but glad you didn’t faint! I personally really dislike going to the doctor’s, I’ve never fainted or anything but growing up I always seemed to have quite a few rude nurses and dr’s. I didn’t appreciate it. I also just don’t like needles very much.

Anyway, cute outfit! I really need to get a chambray top soon! :)

17. Kellie says:

Oh my goodness! I didn’t think there was a name for that, my parents always thought I was being dramatic when I was growing up! I get the same way, there was one time at the doctor’s office that they took blood and then wanted a urine sample right afterwards, I came so close to fainting that I actually crashed into a wall in the bathroom. And I also specifically remember having to lean on my stepmom’s car after a consultation about getting my wisdom teeth removed because I started to get that roaring in my ears and the tunnel vision that usually precludes fainting. I’m so glad I’m not the only one, but I hope it gets better for you!

– Kellie

18. Christin says:

I’ve never actually fainted, but when I’m startled really bad, I almost pass out. Always thought I was just weird, glad to know I’m not quite that odd. It gets bad if I get really startled when I’m driving and I start blacking out. A bit scary.

Our power went out yesterday too, near Woodland Mall. Thankfully it meant I got to leave work early! Love the outfit!

19. Kerry says:

OMG, I have fainted at the eye doctor before! And the last time I was at the eye doctor, there was a rare east coast earthquake. Thankfully, I wasn’t in the exam chair at that point. But I took it as a sign!

20. Nice Designer Skirt… Bad experience with your doctor…..

21. molly says:

oh my gosh. i am obsessed with that skirt! so sad it’s not available anymore. but such a great outfit!!

22. Eleanor says:

I’m so sorry to hear about your weird/bad day! I had a similar experience at the dentist recently – and I had to go three times in the same week! – that I still shudder thinking about.

This outfit is wonderful, though. You layer so perfectly!