Virtual Home Tour + Wine/Cheese Party Set Up.

January 22, 2012

Filed Under: Design

bloglovin

Last night Kai and I hosted a housewarming open house for our friends and family. We had a blast
getting everyone together and sharing our new home with them. Party planning is something
I love to do and everyone seemed to have a great time! Round II might be in order because we have a
ton of leftover cheese and wine. I think I might need a few days before I am ready to drink wine again,
though. Which is actually perfect timing since it’s my birthday on Friday!

Before the party began Kai and I walked through the house and made a video to share – and Kai also
took some still pictures of the party set up.

Welcome to Heather Lane!

Just some general information on our house: It’s one of the oldest homes in Grand Rapids. We were
originally told it was built in 1869 but after some research we found it was built in 1855, which adds
credibility to rumors that it was a part of the underground railroad. It was originally a farm, and
at one point, also served as a stagecoach stop. Kai and I love our house and will likely be here forever.

For pictures of what the house looked like before, you can check out this post.

Tour:

Party time!

We had six different cheese/wine stations throughout the main floor, as well as some small snack foods.

I hope you all had wonderful weekends! I spent the morning resting and cleaning. My wonderful mother
came over to help me clean dishes because I cut my finger pretty bad yesterday while prepping
for the party and shouldn’t get the bandage wet. Also, thanks to those who stayed late last night
and helped clean up a bit. Now my house is all spick and span! On to the next project … we will
never be done. :)

- Kayls.

29 Responses to “Virtual Home Tour + Wine/Cheese Party Set Up.”

1. Megan M. says:

What a beautiful home! Nice work!

2. Magooch says:

It was a great night! Your house is such a wonderful reflection of you and Kai’s artistry and creativeness. I’m so proud of all you’ve accomplished in such a short time. Congratulations!

3. Suze says:

your house is darling! I feel so inspired right now – I love everything you’ve done, and can’t wait to see the rest!

4. Kate says:

The house looks SO great!! I’m sad I wasn’t in town and couldn’t make it. Very tasty and fun!

5. Megan says:

Kayley, your house is so beautiful! It’s so clean and simple… unlike mine ;)

Now I want some wine and cheese!!

6. Katie says:

I love your house! It is so classy! Nice job!

7. Caitlin says:

Wow thats the cutest house warming idea! I love all the little stations!!!

8. whitney says:

Wow!! Beautiful. You guys have done a great job. I love the bench at the table in the dining room, but my favorite is Kai’s office. Duh:) Looks like a delicious party!

9. Desiree says:

Wow, this seriously looks like such an amazing time. You’re house is absolutely beautiful!

10. Jess says:

how cute! wish we could have made it out! and ps hope your finger feels better :)

11. Jenn says:

Your house is gorgeous! Count me jealous :) I’m wondering, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you decide on a colour scheme for the different rooms? Did you use colours to compliment the artwork and photos you already had, or did you just choose colours you liked and then built the rooms around them?

Hi Jenn! When it came to decorating, I first decided on the color scheme. I knew that I wanted more cool tones so opted for gray in most of the rooms and then went from there. Fortunately, the artwork that I liked matched the walls!

• Jenn says:

Thanks so much for answering my question. The thought of decorating my own place from scratch is super intimidating. There’s just too many options out there. I really like your design style though. I might just have to use it for inspiration :) I especially love what you did with the cabinet that holds the white milk jugs. Just gorgeous!

12. Meg says:

You have such a beautiful home!

Meg
    @MissMegasaurus

13. Diana says:

I love how the house looks! And I love that you put up pictures of what each room used to look like for the party. Very cool idea. Sounds like you had a fun time!

14. Styrch says:

And now I have ideas for my next party in terms of preparation and display! Wow… I have a lot to learn.

15. Meg says:

I love your dining table and leather bench. I have been trying to find a set for our house, but haven’t had much luck. May I ask where you got yours?

Lovely pics as always!
    Meg

16. Jupe says:

This is just too darling…what a great hospitality idea to have “stations” around your new place! The set up is really sweet nad it looks YUMMY. Might have to eat some cheese tonight now!

<3 Cambria
    jupefashion.blogspot.com

17. Rose says:

I love that Bogle wine!

18. Bri says:

I love the looks of the food you’ve shown here and the jug and jars are a great idea I’ll have to remember for the future!

Too bad about the cut, heal fast!

19. mary says:

Love your home! Thanks for leaving out the last bedroom….so exciting…you guys are Classy!
    Luv your little accent too….:) How sweet your hubs video taping…thats great….

20. two birds says:

what a perfect party (aside from the cut finger). you did a lovely job! and happy early birthday! i hope you can drink wine by then!

21. Kayla says:

Your house is beautiful! I love that you left so much of the original home intact, but still gave the house a clean and modern feel. You guys have done a great job!

22. Kyle says:

Whaaaat…underground railroad?!? That’s so cool!!!!

Also, I love that white chair/bed thingy in the living room, what a good addition. That will be perfect for Seba to nap on while I come drink champagne.

23. Eleanor says:

Your house is incredible! You’ve done a beautiful job.
    I love this cheese station idea, too. How fun!

24. Leah @ L4L says:

Love your house! So much character.

25. Claudia says:

Your house is great! I live in holland were we’re nog used to live in old farms, but it’s my wish to have a house like yours later on. I also like some of your styling skills. Like the candles in the fireplace.
    And compliments for the way you set up the party. Great idea!