Updating a Chandelier.
September 4, 2011
Kai and I aren’t really in the position to replace our dining room chandelier right now … but that doesn’t
mean that I can’t make the best of the old one! Here is what itÂ looked like when we moved in (all furniture
shown belongs to the previous owner):
The black shades were probably my least favorite part. They were dark and drew a lot of attention
to the white candlesticks. Because of this, the first change that I made was to switch out those lampshades!
Fortunately, my mom had a set of off white ones that she wasn’t using so I took advantage of that and
upgraded to this:
This was definitely an improvement, but it still felt too traditional for me. I was hoping I would just be able
to live with it until we could replace it, but a couple of days ago I decided to do a little, inexpensive DIY fix on
this chandelier until we can get a new one.
Aaaand here’s the finished project:
Alright, so here’s what I did. Things you’ll need:
A glue gun, twine, and the candlestick covers. My covers were what seemed like a painted heavy cardboard.
Basically all you are going to do is wrap the twine around the candlestick cover and glue as you go!
And then put them on the chandelier without the shades and voila! You have yourself a rustic, shabby chic chandelier.
Even though I am liking this way better than the shades, I may still have another trick up my sleeve for this
chandelier. I’ll keep ya posted.
I call this an “update” but in some ways it might be a “downdate” since I think it really shows off the age of the
chandelier. Yeah, I just invented the word “downdate” … don’t worry. It’ll be in Webster’s soon.