An Outfit and a Home Project.

July 23, 2011

Filed Under: Design, DIY, Style

bloglovin

I meant to do this blog post yesterday but then I got busy working on this novel of a post on our photography
blog instead! No, really, check it out. This wedding is amazing. Click here.

I told Kai right before he started taking these pictures that I don’t like it when he photographs me on a downward
angle because then my legs look really short but he didn’t listen and look what happened – mini calves! See,
Kai, told you. I look silly.

Top: J.Crew Factory Store / Skirt: Ruche / Earrings: Gift / Bracelet: Gap / Shoes: c/o Wanted

Tutorial Here

Mom came over last night … I don’t remember why any more … because let’s face it, our house is like a
black hole. People intend to stop in for a second but end up staying and helping us put our lives back together.
We are that pathetic.

So these are a couple of the things we did:

Once a milk can:

Now a table (wellll … now a milk can with a stone on top):

And look at this fanciness. I didn’t have a place for my scarves and belts so we rigged up a little somethin’
somethin’. All you need is two towel bar holders + a towel bar – and you have a cheap way to hang accessories.
I find that this works much better than hooks because it holds more and I can still see most everything.
Originally I was planning on just buying pre-made towel bars until I saw how expensive they were! To build
your own was muct more cost effective. $3.50 for a pair of towel bar holders and another $3.50 for a 24′ towel
bar (which we sawed in half) … so that makes about $5.25 per towel bar. Win!

After!

And Kai’s side … not quite as full. He has more clothes than this, they’re just in the ironing basket. I’m a bad
wife, okay? But in my defense, he does have another whole closet full of things that don’t need to be ironed.

Alright, that’s all I got for today. I’ll be in my scrubby painting clothes all day tomorrow so no post – so
sorry. Catch ya next week!

- Kayls.

18 Responses to “An Outfit and a Home Project.”

1. Amy says:

I am jealous of your closet!

2. Kyle says:

OMG!!!! I cannot believe how many clothes and accessories you have!!!! I want your wardrobe options!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it’s a collection that took me years to acquire! that closet is actually just my dresses. ahhh i need to purge. but i like them all!

3. Emily says:

What a clever idea for your closet!! PS I have the same discussion about photo angles with my husband. :)

4. Val Fox says:

I always tell my hubby the exact same thing about the angles! I’m glad I’m not the only one!
    Cute outfit and nice organizing!
    -Val

he always does a great job with the picture since he’s a pro BUT i always want to look as tall as possible! haha

5. Pia says:

the towel bars are an excellent idea. i used hooks in my closet (mostly ‘coz i’m lazy and i had some hooks just lying around), and it takes me ages to get the belt i want.

6. Magooch says:

Actually, the towel bars were 24 INCHES in length…not 24′! Haha. And you’re right about the black hole. I keep stopping over and then staying for hours. My ironing basket is overflowing, too…your poor dad is practically running around naked :) Good luck with the painting today!

7. Kai says:

Remember the time you complained about me taking beautiful pictures of you? Yeah.

8. Erin Andreani says:

HA- as i was scrolling down reading, i was not expecting to see such an overwhelming amount of scarves on the racks, it made me laugh out loud at my surprise. thanks for sharing this DIY- i’m always looking for was to better organize my accessories… i’m someone who if my items don’t have a specific place, they get strewn about the house. this is a good idea!

9. abby says:

WOW you have a lot of scarves and belts. Jealous! LOVE your outfit. I really like outfits where prints are mixed but never feel like I can pull it off myself. Any suggestions? Do you want one print to be small and one larger?

I know! I have a lot because scarves and belts are one of those things that I don’t think necessarily cycle in and out of fashion very often. It’s really easy to get a huge collection going. When it comes to print mixing, choose two very different prints of different sizes. For example, stripes and florals or stripes and polka dots. It is also a good idea to mix patterns with similar colors. Hope this helps!