Today’s Outfit + Messy Bun Tutorial.

June 28, 2011

Filed Under: Beauty, Style

bloglovin

I worked at the salon this evening, as I do every Monday and Tuesday. Normally this works to my
advantage while getting ready because I have more time. Other times, I will get preoccupied with
laundry, or photo work, or full house reruns and forget that I have to shower and be presentable …
and then I am a little rushed.

Today I had plenty of time while getting ready. So when picking out this little ensemble, I pulled the
skirt first, and then held it up to my hanging tops. I went down the row, and picked out each and every
one that looked like a possible contender for the outfit of the day. I pulled about four, since I knew I
didn’t want to do solid black or solid white today. I was lookin’ for something a little more fun and
unexpected. Because of that, I threw on the most questionable of the bunch first, and ended up liking it.
So that’s what I went with. This shirt that doesn’t really match … but could … if you step back like ten
feet … and squint. See? Now it looks awesome.

We took these pictures twice today. Once before I left for work when it was cloudy and nasty. We
mostly did this just so Kai could complain about the awful lighting. Then we took the real blog pictures
before dinner when it was sunny and gorgeous out. Why waste a chance to be masochistic? That’s our motto.

Top: LOFT / Skirt: H&M / Shoes: Urban Outfitters / Belt: Thrifted / Purse: Dooney & Bourke
(Vintage, Secondhand) / Sunglasses: Yves St Laurent c/o farfetch.com / Earrings: Silpada

If you are interested in receiving a catalog to see more pieces or hosting a Silpada party,
you can email Laurie Van Ravenswaay (Silpada Designs Independent Representative)
at mysilverfun@yahoo.com or give her a call
at 616.915.3876

I also did a video this morning showing my messy bun tutorial. Enjoy! :)

- Kayls.

33 Responses to “Today’s Outfit + Messy Bun Tutorial.”

1. Cheryl says:

Love, love, love….and that’s all I have to say about that! :)

2. Kai says:

Stop tricking me into taking your pictures twice in one day.

3. Robin says:

First of all, I think it is so cute that your hubbie comments on all your blogs. I love this skirt and the shirt is beautiful!

4. Kai says:

You always get the best stills on your tutorials :)

5. Thanks for sharing this video tutorial. My hair is quite fine, so whenever I do a messy bun my hair sits too flat against the top of my head. Turns out I need a back combing brush! Thanks!

mine is from sally’s!

• Anna says:

Is that video tutorial of the messy bun still up somewhere? I’ve been trying, without any luck, to find it. I have long hair, but can’t do “nice” buns. I need all the help I can get.
      Thanks!

6. Magooch says:

I might be a little prejudiced…but you are just the cutest! Love your tutorials.

Love this combo! Not too matchy-matchy but just right! I saw a purse really similar to this at a flea market the other weekend and I was like “Kayley has a purse like that” then realized that since I don’t actually “know” you, no one would know what I was talking about. :)

bahaha – c’mom, show your friends SWR and then you can just include me as one of your buddies on your shopping trips. :)

8. Beautiful outfit today! Thanks for the messy bun tutorial. My daughter is in a dance company and they are instructed to to a “messy bun” for a lot of their performances. So many of the girls (moms) don’t get what this means and they end up with a “doorknob” bun, which is the complete opposite of messy. I will pass on your tips.

That is so cute that you watch Full House reruns. I guess because you could be the missing Tanner sister??

9. Jessica says:

I love that color combo! And I love the mix of a vintage feel with still modern style.

10. Kim says:

I love hair tutorials! Thank you! Do you think you could try and repost the tutorial on the wavy twist/bun style? I forget what you called it but it looked so pretty!

yes! i will try. i either need to re-record it at a smaller resolution or find a way to decrease the resolution without cutting it off halfway. any suggestions?

11. Erin Andreani says:

I’ve been meaning to ask you (“meaning to ask you”, since we’re tight like that and talk all the time..) have you tried the Goody Spin Pins? I would die for mine- they’re my best friend. I have thick hair, so regular bobby pins never really cut it for buns and updos, but two spin pins (and one or two extra bobbies for rogue pieces) hold a bun tight against my head all day! its a miracle. you should try them, recommend them to all your clients, and then give me the credit. you’re welcome! PS- love the last photo, kai’s photographer’s eye is comin’ out!

we are tight like that and talk all the time. i don’t know what you mean.
      i’ve seen commercials for those pins! my hair isn’t all that thick, but i suppose i could try them anyway! i will recommend them and tell everyone that my awesome friend erin suggested them. i will also contact all suppliers in the grand rapids area and make sure you get a cut of the proceeds.

• Erin Andreani says:

LOL i was sayin “meaning to ask you” sounded like, “oh hey on the phone the other night i forgot to ask you….” like we talk all the time in person or something! ha. anyway, yes you should try them for the simplicity of only needing 2 pins to keep up a bun!

12. Halle says:

What is the second part of your tattoo? I can see the YHWH, but what comes after it? PS I think it’s awesome!

13. Penny says:

hello, I found your blog through Tanya’s and I have read already 5 pages! I ve enjoyed the hair tutorials although the fishtail braid seems quite difficult- I ll give it a shot nevertheless!

14. Penny says:

ps)Penny your newest follower :)

15. Pia says:

tutorial! <3 thanks, kayley. :)

16. Mandy says:

I love you tattoo! I have been wanting to get something in hebrew on the back of my neck for years now!! Just wondering what it says in english?

17. Zoe says:

Thanks for doing this, our hair texture is similar- so I think your method will work best for me! I love your blog!

18. Antoinette says:

I see this post is rather old, but I’ll ask anyway. Your hair seems really smooth and shiny. Do you use any sort of leave-in conditioner or hair mask/treatment? If so, please share. I’m dying to try a new product on mine. Thanks!

I use Argan Oil (similar to Moroccan Oil) and I swear by Pureology Shampoo and Condition. Specifically the super luxury nanoworks. I attribute the health of my hair to that!

19. Nichole says:

Thank you for sharing the tutorial. It’s very easy and a great updo! :) Also that is a super cute outfit you put together.